CTVNews.ca, Published Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:00PM EST

Janet Whitehead has never smoked a cigarette. So when she was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2010, the news came as a shock.

After some research, Whitehead eventually learned that her former home had high levels of radon gas, an odourless, colourless substance that can rise from the ground and leach into basements, increasing homeowners’ risk of lung cancer.

“The levels were right off the charts — 30 times the World Health Organization action guideline,” Alan Whitehead, Janet’s husband, told CTV News.

Read the full article with video here: