Why is this important?
Some art and craft materials may contain toxic substances. Solvents in glues and markers can release volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some VOCs are known to be toxic. Powders and sprays can be easily inhaled and affect the lungs.
What actions can we take?
- Ensure that areas where arts and crafts activities take place are well ventilated.
- Use liquid, gel and paste art materials rather than powders and sprays and avoid all solvent-based products.
- Use only art and craft materials intended for use by children and avoid products that bear hazard symbols.
- Store materials in original containers and out of reach of children when not being used.
- Avoid craft materials that have any scent as they may affect children with allergies or sensitivities.
- Never use electronics or other hazardous materials in craft projects.