Why is this important?
Infection prevention and control is essential in the child care environment. Young children transmit infections in any group setting by doing what comes naturally to them — mouthing toys, sharing utensils, playing closely, holding hands, drooling and sometimes forgetting to wash their hands.
What actions can we take?
- Ensure that all cleaning and disinfecting products are inaccessible to children and are properly labeled and stored.
- Avoid using cleaning and disinfecting products around children.
- Ensure adequate ventilation when using cleaning and disinfecting products.
- Avoid using products labeled with hazard symbols whenever possible, while recognizing that such products may be needed to ensure infection prevention and control as per local public health guidelines.
- Use less-toxic alternatives for all cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting tasks, in consultation with local public health officials.
- Do not mix cleaning and disinfecting products with other chemicals.
- Never mix bleach with other cleaning and disinfecting products as this could result in a dangerous chemical reaction.
- Ensure that this does not happen by posting warning signs and educating staff.