Why is this important?
Children are likely to live and learn with people who may be very different from them. To prepare children for life in a diverse society, and to promote equity and inclusion, families and educators should encourage children’s positive feelings about themselves while fostering an understanding and acceptance of others.
What actions can we take?
- Take actions to create welcoming/ culturally engaging/ responsive culturally safe spaces for all children.
- Have a personal land acknowledgement statement.
- Books and toys in our facility reflect and celebrate diversity.
- Use non-gendered terms and inclusive language.
- Have gender neutral bathrooms.
- Ensure the facility is accessible to all bodies and abilities.
- Take actions to mitigate socio-economic and other barriers so that all children are able to fully participate in all activities.