Mould

Why is this important?

Indoor exposure to mould and dampness can pose significant health risks, including exacerbation of asthma symptoms, development of asthma, bronchitis, respiratory infections, allergic rhinitis (runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing), difficulty breathing, wheezing and coughing. ​​Exposure in child care settings can include inhalation of mould spores and other airborne particles from water-damaged cardboard boxes, fabric, drywall and carpets.

What actions can we take?

  • Ensure that there is no visible mould or mouldy smell in the facility, and make sure that plumbing leaks or other sources of excess moisture are promptly addressed.
  • If mould is already present, ​​it is important to clean it up right away.
    • Keep infants, children and anyone with asthma or allergies out of the space.
    • Wearing rubber gloves and a mask, scrub surface mould with warm water and unscented detergent (bleach is not recommended), rinse with a wet rag and dry with a clean cloth.
    • Get rid of mouldy items that can’t be cleaned and thoroughly dried. Remove mouldy carpets.
    • Get help from environmental service professionals if there are more than three patches of mould or if the patches are greater than 1 metre x 1 metre, in size).

Share, Print, Email