Why is this important?
Reducing wastes by identifying and avoiding wasteful practices, reusing materials, recycling and composting can save money, protect valuable resources and serve as a model for children and families.
What actions can we take?
- Avoid generating waste across all aspects of your program (e.g. food waste, plastic waste, single use items).
- Find out about local programs for take-back/recycling of electronic waste, such as old computers and televisions.
- Do not flush or discard expired pharmaceutical products; consult your local pharmacy or municipality for safe disposal options.
- Consult your municipality about hazardous waste drop-off/pick-up services for items such as paint, solvents and other hazardous materials.
- Compost — either through a municipal program, an outdoor bin or an indoor bin.
- Avoid purchasing products with excessive packaging.
- Choose non-disposable and non-plastic options when purchasing supplies / materials whenever possible.